Thursday, March 23, 2023

March 23, 2023 Sakura

People talk about the beauty of the sakura (cherry blossoms) here in Japan.  When I started doing student exchange about 12 years ago, I never thought I would be here to see it.
But I am.
And I was really excited.
And then I was like, "it's blooming flowers.  This is everywhere and it is beautiful everywhere. " So I figured it was overdone.
But now I am here.  
Driving down the road.
And I almost forget to watch where I am going
because these trees
that have been bare since I arrived in August
these trees that blended into the cityscape
have become brilliant, bright, beautiful
the bright white buds look so fragile
but they are still there after the rain
after the wind
clean and pure and precious
I feel like there is a lesson to be learned here.

I am amazed at how much they amaze me
My favorite one so far is on the way to work
it is on base
on the side of the road in from Womble Gate
in the front yard of one of the officer's homes
the tree is huge
dark and twisty
with bright white blooms rising like the top of a cauliflower
like a bowl of freshly popped popcorn
like an umbrella of unfurling life
and I, who miss the azaleas of East Texas,
find myself inspired by their glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I gave him my heart

 The first time I got married I don't think I ever gave my heart not all of it I never fell I never was in love with him, I'm pretty...